Homeopathy For Children & Youth
Homeopathy Has Helped Kids With
Short term (acute) illnesses
Long term (chronic) illnesses:
Terminal illness/End of life:
Homeopathy Can Help In The Following Areas
Spirit: It brings about change on the deepest level so the child can reach his/her highest potential.
Body: It treats many common childhood illnesses, both acute and chronic.
Mind: It increases concentration and focus, and stimulates the child’s ability to understand and learn.
Emotions: It restores balance to the child who is nervous, restless, angry or unhappy.
Social: It balances the child’s nature, allowing the child to interact with others in a positive way.
Brief Description Of Homeopathy
- Homeopathy treats the whole child on all levels: mental, physical and emotional for both short and long term conditions.
- Homeopathic remedies prevent or treat illness by stimulating the body’s defense mechanisms.
Success With Homeopathy
- Eight year old Jeff refused to eat almost anything if it didn’t have sugar in it--and he’d been a difficult and picky eater since age three. His mother felt guilty and anxious about his lack of appetite and was worn out by the everyday struggle at mealtime. Jeff was also clingy and disruptive, demanding constant attention. After three weeks on the remedy prescribed for him, Jeff started eating regular meals and exhibiting independence and self-confidence. His mom said, “At last I can enjoy being a mother again.”
- Julie, a bright seven year old, was having a very hard time at school. She was restless, uncooperative and getting into fights. She didn’t want to talk to the practitioner and refused to even look at her. The practitioner gave her a remedy and when she returned a month later for her follow-up visit, she was a changed child. Smiling, she handed the homeopath a bouquet of flowers she’d picked herself. She said she was getting along great at school and making friends with her classmates.
- Eliza had constant ear infections and runny noses. Her parents were afraid her hearing would be affected if the infections didn’t stop. The homeopath gave her a remedy that cleared up her immediate symptoms and, a few weeks later, gave a different remedy to boost her vital force and help her resist future infections.
- “My son is not in the principal’s office anymore!”
- “I have not used my inhaler all winter. Usually I have a cold and cough all winter long and this year, only one!”
- “I feel happy...(spoken by a 14 year old who had been depressed).”
- “My daughter is more resilient, less upset by small things, and more cooperative.”
Homeopathy Is Appropriate For Ages
- Homeopathy is for all ages, from conception on, can be treated successfully with homeopathic remedies.
- Homeopaths gather information from observation as well as the report from the parent and child.
Children & Youth’s Reactions To Homeopathy
- Homeopathic remedies are easily dissolved under the tongue or in water. Children love the taste and often ask for more!
- Many children like visiting a homeopath because it is a time when the child is able to speak freely, without judgment or interruption.
Extra Care Is Needed
- Life threatening illnesses such as Asthma
- Severe skin conditions
- Acute illnesses where the condition changes quickly
Contraindications: When Homeopathy Should Be Avoided
- Homeopathy should not be used in conjunction with other energetic treatments as this confuses the practitioner’s ability to determine which treatment is working and what to do next.
- The action of the homeopathic remedy can be interrupted by the following: camphor, menthol, eucalyptus and/or tea tree oil.
- Don’t use such things as deep heating rubs, liniments, Tiger Balm, Vicks, Ben Gay, Noxzema products and some calamine lotions. Carefully read the labels of lip balms, mouthwashes and throat lozenges. Avoid teas that contain menthol. Avoid prolonged breathing of mothball vapors.
- Homeopathy was founded by Samuel Hahnemann, a German physician, in the late 1700’s. The concept actually dates back to the time of Hippocrates, the first official physician.
- Homeopathy comes from the Greek words homoios (similar) and pathos (suffering).
- Hahnemann believed the doctor’s role should be to help the patient’s own body heal itself. He developed the Law of Similars, (which means remedies have healing properties which match the symptoms of the patient).
- Hahnemann also developed a method of energizing the remedies which eliminates or greatly reduces side effects. The smaller the dose of medicine, the greater its potency and its effect on the body’s healing ability.
- It came to the United States in the l800’s and was very popular until the mid 1920’s. Homeopathy is regaining popularity in the U.S. today with many schools across the nation, thousands of practitioners, several national homeopathic organizations and pharmacies. The remedies are widely available by mail and in natural foods stores.
- Homeopathy has spread all over the world; including India, Europe, Russia, Brazil, Israel, Canada and Mexico.
Basic Concepts And Components Of Homeopathy
- A very small amount of the proper medicine stimulates the body to heal itself.
- It cures the person by treating the root of the illness, not just the symptoms.
- When given correctly it is safe and without side effects.
- Homeopathy uses natural, non-toxic substances.
- Homeopathy heals physical, mental and emotional symptoms.
- It is effective for both acute (short term) and chronic (long term) conditions.
- Homeopathy is simple, cost-effective and quick for conditions such as teething, earache and injuries.
- It does not dampen or depress a child’s spirit—in fact the child’s overall health benefits from the treatment.
Description Of A Typical Session
- The first session begins with the patient’s own description of his/her symptoms. Then the practitioner may ask questions if more information is needed. The practitioner is interested in what is unique about the child – sleep patterns, food desire and aversions, details about the pregnancy and birth, the child’s response to discipline, etc.–and listens without judgment or comment to the answers.
- The practitioner studies the case and then prescribes a remedy.
- A week after taking the remedy, a brief check-in phone call is done by some practitioners.
- After four to five weeks, a one-hour follow-up session is done to review all the symptoms reported at the first session.
Major Differences Of Opinion Between Practitioners
- Single remedy vs. combination remedies
- Single dose vs. repeated doses
- Single remedy vs. alternating remedies
- Treatment of the whole person vs. focus on one complaint
- High doses vs. low doses
Fees/Costs In 2007 – (Northern California Averages)
- Initial consultation (for under age 18): $150-200
- Follow-up visits: $50-100
- Acute Treatment: $50-100
Average Time Per Session
- Young children: The first visit lasts 1 ½ - 2 hours. Depending on the age and the willingness of the child, the practitioner may see the child separately from the parent as well as together.
- Adolescents: The first visit lasts 2 - 3 hours and should be done directly with the practitioner if possible. The parent would then meet with the practitioner individually.
Recommended Length Of Time Between Sessions
- For at least the first six months there should be no more than 4-5 weeks between sessions. This allows time for the remedies to act and keeps the treatment on track. Too much time between sessions can interrupt or stall the healing process.
Estimated Length Of Time Before Improvements Can Be Expected
- Changes can often be seen within the first month of treatment. However, it is best to allow several months for significant improvement to occur.
Suggestions To Make Homeopathy More Effective
- Report accurate information.
- Give the remedy as instructed.
- Observe closely.
- Report changes to the practitioner.
- Keep follow-up appointments.
Other Methods That Are Similar To Homeopathy
- Other energetic treatments may try to improve the body’s ability to heal itself, such as Acupuncture, Network Chiropractic and other forms of energy work. However, only Homeopathy uses energetic medicines to cure the person.
Other Methods That Complement Homeopathy
- Physical Therapy
- Tai chi
- Leadership development courses
Nature And Length Of Training To Be A Practitioner
- Homeopathic training can range from self-paced online courses to four-year, full time programs.
- Training should include in-depth study of the Homeopathic Philosophy, Homeopathic remedies in the Materia Medica books and use of Repertories (books of symptoms) along with appropriate medical science classes for non-medical students. Some clinical experience is very valuable and should be included in the program.
Special Training Needed To Work With Children & Youth
- Lectures in taking the case of a child
- Observation of children in the training clinic
- In-depth study of remedies often prescribed in early life
Certification/Licenses Held By Practitioners
- Licensing varies from state to state. However, many states have passed a bill allowing non-licensed practitioners to practice legally. Graduates from Homeopathic programs receive a certificate of completion and may go on to obtain a certification from one of several organizations.
Professional Associations To Contact For Names Of Local Practitioners
- National Center for Homeopathy (NCH); 801 North Fairfax St., Suite 306; Alexandria, VA 22314; 703-548-7790; Fax: 703- 548-7792; Website: www.nationalcenterforhomeopathy.org; Email: available through the website
- Council for Homeopathic Certification; 16915 SE 272nd St., Suite 100; Covington, WA 98042; 866-242-3399; Fax: 815-366-7622; Website: www.homeopathicdirectory.com; Email:email@example.com
- North American Society of Homeopaths (NASH); P.O. Box 450039; Sunrise, FL 33345-0039; 206-720-7000; Fax: 208-248-1942; Website: www.homeopathy.org; Email:NashInfo@homeopathy.org
- American Institute of Homeopathy; 801 N. Fairfax St., Suite 306; Alexandria, VA 22314; 888-445-9988; Website: www.homeopathyusa.org; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Homeopathic Academy of Naturopathic Physicians (HANP); P.O. Box 126; Redmond, WA; 98073-0126; 253-630-3338; Fax: 815-301-6595; Website: www.hanp.net; Email:email@example.com
Number Of Certified Practitioners In U.S., Canada And Mexico
- There are several thousand practitioners in these countries.
What To Look For When Choosing The Best Practitioner
- School they attended
- Length of time practicing Homeopathy
- Method of practicing Homeopathy
- Experience with children
- Certification level
Leading Clinics, Centers, Practitioners
- Dr. Judyth Reichenberg-Ullman and Robert Ullman of The Northwest Center for Homeopathic Medicine; 131 Third Avenue, N.; Edmonds, WA 98020; 425-774-5599; Fax: 425-670-0319; Website: www.healthyhomeopathy.com; Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Miranda Castro; 3051 N. Federal Highway, # 201 Fort Lauderdale, Florida 33306, USA 352-505-8545; Email:email@example.com
- Andre Saine of The Canadian Academy of Homeopathy; 1173 boul. du Mont-Royal; Outremont (Québec), Canada H2V 2H6; 514-279-6629; Fax: 514-279-0111; Website: www.homeopathy.ca; Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Paul Herscu of The New England School of Homeopathy (NESH); 356 Middle Street; Amherst, MA 01002; 413-256-5949; Fax: 413-256-6223; Website: www.nesh.com; Email: available through the website
Research Papers Pertaining To Homeopathy
- J.Kleijnan, P.Knipschild, and G ter Riet. “Clinical Trials of Homeopathy.” British Medical Journal, 302 (1991): 316-23.
- Jacobs, L., M. Jimenez, S.Gloyd, and D. Crothers, “Treatment of Acute Childhood Diarrhea with Homeopathic Medicine: A Randomized Clinical Trial in Nicaragua.” Pediatrics 93, 5 (1994): 719-25.
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine and the National Institutes of Health website on homeopathic research: http://nccam.nih.gov.
- The Samueli Institute’s website provides numerous articles on Homeopathy. Website: www.siib.org.
- The best sources for books on Homeopathy are the two largest Homeopathic booksellers in the U.S.:
- Minimum Price Books; P.O. Box 2187; Blaine, WA 98231; (UPS only: 250 H Street, Blaine, WA 98230); Orders: 800-663-8272; Fax: 604-597-8304; Website: www.minimum.com: Email: email@example.com;
- Homeopathic Educational Services; 2124B Kittredge St.; Berkeley, CA 94704; 510-649-0294; Fax: 510-649-1955; Website: www.homeopathic.com; Email: available through the website.
- Homeopathy Today: The magazine of the National Center for Homeopathy. (See above.)
- Reichenberg-Ullman, Judyth, and Robert Ullman. Rage Free Kids. Roseville, CA: Prima Lifestyles, 1999.
- Shalts, Edward. The American Institute of Homeopathy Handbook for Parents: A Guide to Healthy Treatment for Everything from Colds and Allergies to ADHD, Obesity, and Depression. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2005.
- Lansky, Amy. The Impossible Cure: The Promise of Homeopathy. Portola Valley, CA: R. L. Ranch Press, 2003.
- Kruzel, Thomas. The Homeopathic Emergency Guide: A Quick Reference Guide to Accurate Homeopathic Care. Berkeley, CA: North Atlantic Books, 1992.
Helpful Tips For Parents
- It is recommended that you openly discuss the use of Homeopathy with your own physician.
- Never give repeated doses of a remedy without the advice of a Homeopathic practitioner.
- Only repeat a remedy if improvement has been seen.
Biography of Randy Jane Reitzes, LVN, CMT, CCHH, Co-Author
- Randy has 6 years of experience.
- 25% of her practice is with children & youth under 18.
- Randy is affiliated with the National Center for Homeopathy.
- Degrees: Randy is a Licensed Vocational Nurse, Certified Massage Technician, and Certified Classical Hahnemannian Homeopath.
Randy Jane Reitzes, LVN, CMT, CCHH’ Personal Statement
As a nurse for almost 30 years and specializing in hospice care for the past 8 years, I am concerned with the increase in chronic disease and the low rate of cure in conventional medicine. The philosophy of Homeopathy, particularly the way in which health, disease and cure are viewed, resonates with me in a very profound way. After experiencing the positive curative response both personally and professionally with my clients, I am convinced that cure is possible… which means not only the elimination of symptoms, but also the restoration of health at the deepest core of one’s being.
To Contact Randy Jane Reitzes, LVN, CMT, CCHH, Who Co-Contributed This Chapter
Randy Jane Reitzes; 690 5th Street, Suite 101; San Francisco, CA 94107; or, 907 Key Route Blvd.; Albany, CA 94706; Ph: 510-528-4146; Fax: 510-528-4146; Website: www.bayareahomeopathy.com; Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
Biography of Lisette Narragon CCH, BRCP, Co-Author
- Lisette has 8 years of experience.
- 50% of her practice is with children & youth under 18.
- Degrees: Bachelor of Science; Certification of Classical Hahnemannian Homeopathy.
- Affiliations: National Center for Homeopathy; and British Registry of Complementary Practitioners.
Lisette Narragon CCH, BRCP’s Personal Statement
I came to Homeopathy through my own personal experience in curing my son’s recurrent throat infections, and my younger son’s ear infections. Being treated Homeopathically as a child is a true blessing, as it sets a great foundation of good health for one’s whole life. My wish is to be able to grow the numbers of children using Homeopathy in the years ahead by educating more parents about the benefits of Homeopathic treatment.
To Contact Lisette Narragon CCH, BRCP, Who Co-Contributed This Chapter
Biography of Dian Wagner, Deceased.
- Dian will be remembered in the Sebastopol, California area for a long time. She was an excellent Homeopath who worked with thousands of children over many decades. She was an early supporter of the Growing Up Easier/Help For Children Project. Lisette and Randy have included some of her contributions in this chapter.
My children have benefited from over-the-counter Homeopathic remedies and Homeopathic consultation with Dian Wagner. I have also had patients benefit from Homeopathic care. Be careful in choosing practitioners because Homeopaths are not licensed. Generally, with rare exceptions, Homeopathic remedies are safe.
I use Homeopathy often. I have told many parents about it and they have reported very good results. Homeopathy is very effective with children’s emotional issues. Picking a good Homeopath is important. Pick one who asks a great number of questions. Homeopathy is much disputed by many people in the mainstream medical field. According to modern scientific theory, it should not work; however it does work and it is very effective. I think that every home with children benefits from having a Homeopathic remedy called Rescue Remedy. It is very handy for calming children when they are upset from accidents, traumas and fear.