Flower Essences For Children & Youth
Flower Essences Has Helped Kids With
Flower Essences Can Help In The Following Areas
Spirit: Lack of clarity about higher purpose, loss of connection with the higher self and spirit guide, confusion about psychic abilities
Body: Trauma and shock, bedwetting, lack of energy, burns, tension, sexual abuse, fainting, low blood pressure, insomnia, dental problems, cramps, menstrual problems
Mind: Lack of mental clarity and focus, unwillingness to learn from past mistakes, non- accepting of authorities, lack of motivation, lack of self-reliance, indecisiveness, lack of patience, guilt, lack of creativity, courage and self-discipline, perfectionism, stubbornness, resignation, lack of prospects, school problems, suicidal thoughts
Emotions: Fear and anxiety, depression, phobias, panic attacks, addictions and co-dependency, worry, self-doubt, aggressive behavior, homesickness, jealousy, hypersensitivity, lack of self-confidence, mood swings, mourning, desperation, shyness
Brief Description Of Flower Essences
- Flower Essences are gentle but powerful vibrational healing remedies, which act to balance harmonies in the emotional and spiritual bodies.
- They have the ability to help us heal, to stabilize and support us, to stimulate self-responsibility and self-awareness, to clear energy blockages, to transform old beliefs and open us to new possibilities.
- They do not operate at a biochemical level – as prescription drugs do, but work on a vibrational level, and by doing so, they affect the subtle energy body which is present in the human field.
- Upsetting emotions are the result of an interruption in the natural flow of energy.
- By ingesting Flower Essences, or when used topically as an ointment, Flower Essences interact with our own energy field and can help us rebalance our energy and our emotions.
- Flower Essences are one of the safest self-help remedies available, as they do not have any known side effects.
- They can be used safely with children, adults, animals and plants.
Success With Flower Essences
- Julia, a nine year old girl suddenly started to become anxious and nervous and had troubles falling asleep without her mother, after having witnessed a terrible street accident. Flower Essences (“Mimulus”, “Aspen”, “Star of Bethlehem” and “Honeysuckle”), quickly helped Julia to get over this incident. To this day, her anxiety has not returned.
- Tom (13), became self-conscious after being ridiculed in school by one of his friends. Essence of ”Larch” helped him regain his self-esteem.
- Anne´s (10 ) exam nerves went away after taking “Chestnut Bud”, “Elm”, “Hornbeam” and “Rock Water”. During the exam, “Gentian”, “Mimulus” and “White Chestnut” helped Anne stay calm and focused. Also, the black-outs, normally experienced by Anne in stressful situations, were gone.
Flower Essences Are Appropriate For Ages
- Flower remedies have been shown to be effective for children of all ages.
- Some practitioners and midwifes even use Flower Essences to help the newborn baby to recover from birth and to adjust to life outside the womb more quickly. In this case, Flower remedies (Star of Bethlehem, Rock Rose) are used topically, gently massaged into the soles of the feet. This will give the newborn inner peace and the feeling of belonging to the universe.
- During pregnancy is also a sensitive time to take essences. Because the unborn is connected so intensely with the mother, every emotion which is experienced by the mother will affect the unborn in some way or another. Therefore it is very beneficial for the mother-to-be to use Flower Essences to help balance the intense emotions, which can occur during pregnancy and while giving birth.
- It is also safe to use Flower Essences through the time of nursing, as the baby will receive the essences through the mother’s milk.
Children & Youth’s Reactions To Flower Essences
- In general, children react to Flower Essences very quickly and some notice dramatic changes immediately.
- For others, the changes are more gradual and they feel that “something” has changed in a week or two.
- Some report a change in emotional states and a feeling of peace, harmony and wellbeing; others will experience changes of attitudes and a greater connection to nature.
Extra Care Is Needed
- Some practitioners recommend not applying undiluted essences directly onto the skin. Very sensitive children & youth can develop a strong emotional reaction. In that case, it is best to continue using the essences, but in a diluted form until the emotions subside.
Contraindications: When Flower Essences Should Be Avoided
- There are not many contraindications.
- Flower Essences are among the safest self-help remedies available on the market.
- They do not have common side effects.
- Homeopathic remedies and Flower Essences should not be taken together, as they can interfere with each other and their healing properties will be diminished.
- It is believed that Flower Essences have been in existence throughout the ages.
- Some people even think they were already popular forms of healing in the forgotten civilizations of humankind: i.e., Atlantis and Lemuria.
- Today, some of the most popular Flower Essences are the “Bach Flower Essences”, which were rediscovered in the 1930´s by Dr. Edward Bach, a British physician. Dr. Bach was a very sensitive soul and he relied on his intuition for guidance. He had the ability to directly communicate with plants and by doing so he was able to develop 36 different flower remedies which address 36 different emotional states. Dr. Bach found that dis-eases of the body came about as a result of imbalances or negativity at the level of the soul and by correcting the problems at that level, healing would result on all levels.
- Flower Essences are among the most popular forms of self-help remedies on the market and they are especially popular in Europe.
- Today, more and more therapists, complementary health care practitioners and health care professionals are discovering their various healing properties and are using and incorporating them into their practice.
- Other popular Flower Essences are: Alaskan flowers, Australian Bush flowers, North American flowers, Californian flowers, and many, many more.
Basic Concepts And Components Of Flower Essences
- Flower Essences are diluted extracts of various types of flowers and plants.
- The wildflowers are picked at the peak of their blooming cycle.
- For optimal results and potential, attention is also paid to the time of the day when the flower is picked, the ideal season and the moon phase.
- The blooms are then put into a bowl of water and infused with the sun. The power and energy of the sun transfers the healing energies into the water. This is called the “mother essence”.
- To preserve the mother essence, brandy is added and the infusion is further diluted into what is called the “stock level”. This is the level which is commonly available in health care shops.
- The flower essence practitioner then prepares the “dosage level”. Only four drops of the stock level are needed. After that, brandy and water are added again.
- For alcohol sensitive adults or children, cider vinegar can be used as a preservative instead of brandy, even though the percentage of alcohol found at this level of dilution is insignificant.
- Some health care shops also offer Flower Essences in the form of globuli, which have a sweet taste, contain no alcohol and are widely accepted by children.
- Most commonly, Flower Essences are used orally, placed with a dropper directly under the tongue, or put into a glass of water or juice (not milk).
- Another common procedure is to mix the essences with ointments and creams to use them topically.
- Essences can also be used in the form of mist sprays or as an additive for bathwater.
Description Of A Typical Session
- First, a skilled and experienced practitioner will begin to establish a good relationship with the child or youth.
- Depending upon the age of the child, the parents may be present during the session.
- After the practitioner has clarified which challenges the child is facing and where help is needed the most, the Flower Essence consultant will choose up to 6 different essences and then prepare a dosage bottle.
- Occasionally, it can also be useful to simply let the child pick one flower essence. Children are very sensitive and in tune with their needs and emotions and often they will intuitively pick the most important flower essence for themselves.
- At the end of the consultation, the practitioner will explain how and when the Flower Essences should be taken.
- A good practitioner will also schedule a follow-up session, either over the phone or in person after about six days. This will assure reactions and changes in behavior are being discussed and if necessary, the practitioner will change the dosage.
Major Differences Of Opinion Between Practitioners
- The major differences of opinion lie in the number of Flower Essences to be taken at a time. Some practitioners prefer to work with just one single flower; others combine up to 8 different ones.
- Another difference of opinion is the dosage. The recommendations here vary greatly.
Fees/Costs In 2007
- Fees vary widely depending on the practitioner’s level of training and location, and the number of Flower Essences to be used.
- Overall rates are between $30 and $120. This typically includes the consultation, a customized blend of essences, and sometimes a follow-up session.
- Single Flower Essences at the stock level can be found in good health care shops for about $10 each.
Estimated Length Of Time Before Improvements Can Be Expected
- Children react to Flower Essences very quickly and some notice dramatic changes immediately. For others, the changes are more gradual and they feel that “something” has changed in a week or two.
- If many different Flower Essences are combined, changes will be noticed within about a month.
- In general, it can be said that the fewer essences selected, the sooner positive effects will appear.
Suggestions To Make Flower Essences More Effective
- Flower Essences will only be effective if a skilled practitioner is choosing the right essences. If essences are chosen which are inappropriate, the desired effect will simply fail to appear.
- It is also important to notice that the fewer flower remedies selected, the more effective they will be. A good number is up to six different Flower Essences. Too many different Flower Essences can result in a state of confusion and a sense of uneasiness, as the body will be overstrained with too many different frequencies.
- It is also extremely important to take flower remedies on a regular, consistent basis. The rhythmic, frequent use ensures the flower remedies can develop their full healing forces. Therefore, a greater effect will not be achieved by increasing the number of drops, but by using them more frequently, since they do not work on a biochemical basis but on a vibrational level.
- Before taking Flower Essences make sure you shake the bottle a few times. This will re-activate the life force of the plants and their full healing properties can unfold again.
- Another thing to be aware of is not to contaminate the plastic dropper of the bottle. Try to avoid direct contact with the dropper and the tongue.
- Do not store flower remedies next to electromagnetic devices, such as cell phones, TV´s or computers.
- Be aware that due to cosmic radiation, the healing frequencies of the essences will be affected after about four hours of air travel.
Dosage Directions For Children & Youth
- The standard dosage for preschool and gradeschool children is two to three drops of stock concentrate a day. The best times are upon rising and before going to bed.
- If necessary, the dosage can be slightly increased up to five times a day.
- Best times to take them are 15 minutes before a meal or on hour after.
- For older children or adults, four drops three times a day is a good place to start with.
- As an additive to bathwater, 15 drops are a good amount.
- When prepared as an oinment, take 15 to 20 drops and add it to one ounce of body cream.
- Spraying the crib or bed with the essences in a misting bottle is helpful as well, therefore 5 drops are used for one ounce of water.
- Any combination of the above is possible. For safety reasons, start with the lowest dose and slightly increase it until the desired effects appear.
Other Methods That Are Similar To Flower Essences
Other Methods That Complement Flower Essences
- Energy work: such as Reiki, Shiatsu and Breath work
- Physical therapy
- Cranialsacral work
- Many other forms of healing work
Nature And Length Of Training To Be A Practitioner
- Length and nature of training involved to become a certified flower essence practitioner vary widely. Some certification classes only take 2 days, while others take up to one year, including field research.
- As there are no strict regulations, it is important to ask the practitioner with whom you are working, where he/she received training and about their experience.
- Make sure your child feels comfortable with the practitioner.
Special Training Needed To Work With Children & Youth
- There is no special training needed to work with children. The working principles are the same as for adults. The major difference is the dosage.
Professional Associations To Contact For Names Of Local Practitioners
- Flower Essence Society; P.O. Box 459; Nevada City, CA 95959; 800-736-9222; Fax: 530-265-0584; Website: www.flowersociety.org; Email:firstname.lastname@example.org.
- British Flower and Vibrational Essences Association; BM BFVEA; London; WC1N 3XX; 01372-744426; Website: www.bfvea.com; Email:email@example.com.
- World Wide Essence Society: Website: www.essences.com; Email:firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dr. Edward Bach Foundation: Website: www.bachcentre.com; For general advice on dosage etc. and for help finding a practitioner near to you, email:Kathy@bachcentre.com.
Number Of Certified Practitioners In U.S., Canada, And Mexico
- Difficult to know at this point.
Leading Clinics, Centers, Practitioners
- Patricia Kaminski, Richard Katz, FES – Flower Essence Society. (See listing above).
- The International Association of Flower Essence Producers: Website: www.floweressenceproducers.org.
For North/Central/South America:
Steve Johnson; Ph: 907-235-2188; Fax: 907-235-2777; Email:steve@FlowerEssenceProducers.org.
For Europe and the rest of the world:
Bram Zaalberg; 31-77-398-7826; Fax: 31-77-398-7827; Email:bloesem@Worldonline.nl.
Research Papers Pertaining To Flower Essences
- Recent research into the links between emotions and the immune system supports and reinforces the view that emotional balance and well-being directly affect and influence our physical health. More and more medical experts now agree that a healthy mind really does ensure a healthy body.
- The Flower Essence Society does research on Flower Essences on an ongoing basis. Studies are published on their website. (See listing above.)
- Kaminski, Patricia and Richard Katz. Flower Essence Repertory. Nevada City, CA: Flower Essence Society, Rev Ed 1994.
- Mazzarella, Barbara. Bach Flower Remedies for Children: A Parents’ Guide. Rochester, VT: Healing Arts Press, 1994.
- Arnos, Kathy. The Complete Teething Guide: From Birth to Adolescence. Van Nuys, CA: Spirit Dance Publishing, 2003.
- Soo Hwa, Yeo. Healing the Family with Bach Flower Essences. Sunnyvale, CA: 2005.
- Wesson, Nicky. Natural Mothering: A Guide to Holistic Therapies for Pregnancy, Birth, and Early Childhood. Rochester, VT: Healing Arts Press, 1997.
Helpful Tips For Parents
- In a crisis of any kind, one of the best things you can do to help your child is to have a bottle of Rescue Remedy at home. Rescue Remedy is a combination of five of the original Bach flower remedies: Cherry Plum, Impatiens, Clematis, Star of Bethlehem and Rock Rose.
- Rescue Remedy can reduce stress and help to restore a sense of calm and control.
- Rescue Remedy is very useful for all types of crisis, shocks and stressful situations: such as trauma, injury, going to the dentist and relationship breakdowns.
- Rescue Remedy is also available in a soothing cream for minor scrapes and dry skin conditions.
- If you want to choose Flower Essences for your child or youth by yourself, but are not sure which one to choose, observe how your child reacts to situations around him. You will notice very quickly that each child or youth reacts very differently to the same circumstances. For instance, one child will react with fear to a given situation, another will become angry and upset, while another will become quiet and will retreat. Once you have observed this, you can then use a good Flower Essence repertory book (found in health food stores) to find which flower fits the child or youth the best. If you are unsure, it is best to contact an experienced flower essence consultant.
Biography of Katharina Johnson, Author
- Dr. Katharina Johnson is a medical doctor, licensed and trained in Austria. She holds a degree in Orthomolecular therapy (Nutritional Medicine), is trained in Acupuncture and Bach Flower Essences as well.
- Due to her interest in Energy psychology, Katharina studied to become a certified Seemorg Matrix Work and EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) practitioner. By applying those healing modalities, Katharina is able to provide clients with lasting relief from a range of psychological disorders, physical diseases and spiritual impasses.
- Katharina recommends Bach Flower remedies to all her clients, to improve their emotional, physical and mental states of wellbeing.
- Katharina lives and works in San Francisco, CA.
Katharina Johnson’s Personal statement
Growing up in Austria in a very progressive family, I was very lucky to have parents who introduced me to Flower Essences and homeopathy at an early age. I have been taking Flower Essences throughout my whole life and I have seen dramatic shifts in emotional states happening in a very short time, not only within myself, but also within my clients. Flower Essences are safe and effective, and one of their most beautiful gifts is their ability to reconnect us with our innermost nature, being one of love, joy and compassion.
To Contact Dr. Katharina Johnson, Who Contributed This Chapter
Flower Essences, when used as directed, can be a safe, wonderful and cost effective home remedy to address a wide range of common difficutlies. For addressing serious and/or complex and/or chronic conditions, get care from a Flower Essence practitioner. There can be additional benefits when people get involved with Flower Essences practiced by people licensed in other healing modalities. My family and patients and I have benefited.
I have used Flower Essences for years with my family and friends. They work. They are inexpensive. How they work is a mystery to me; however the relief that they bring is undeniable.